Sunday, January 30, 2022

Don’t divide America’s children into those with poor or better off parents.

Sir, I refer to your editorial “A disaster for poor people” WP, January 30, 2022.

I’m from an oil-cursed nation, Venezuela, and I’m convinced that if all its net oil revenues, had been shared out equally to all its citizens, instead of empowering redistribution profiteering, my homeland would not be in the so sad shape it is today.

Therefore, when I read about child-tax credit being “strictly mean-tested to reduce the program’s high costs” my immediate reaction is to propose paying out those child benefits to all children, whether rich or poor, and if you need to help cover the fiscal costs, make those benefits taxable.

More important, those benefits would then be considered belonging to American children, and not just to the children of the poor Americans.


@PerKurowski